What is Floating and The Many Benefits of Floating
What is Floating ?
Floating will be the easiest thing you will do all day. Floatation Therapy, REST Therapy (Restricted Environmental Stimulation Technique) or Sensory Deprivation, are all ways to describe floating.
Floating involves laying in an Epsom salt-water solution in a specially designed float or sensory deprivation tank. Your experience in a floatation tank is about everything you won’t be doing.
You will have limited gravitational forces working against you as the 1100 pounds of Epsom salt in the water renders you virtually weightless. The water is kept at the average skin receptor neutral temperature helping you lose track of where your body ends and the water begins. Your ears are submerged in the water, and the tanks are insulated against sound. With the door closed you float in total darkness.
With your senses free to do nothing, amazing mental acuity has the opportunity to inspire creativity. Your brain produces dopamine and endorphins, and your body gets to rest, heal and renew. Floating will be one of the most relaxing things you will ever experience.
What are the Benefits of Floating ?
- Zero gravity takes the pressure off those sore joints and tight muscles, giving your body a much-needed break.
- Truly unplugging from electronics and the outside world puts you in a state of deep, stress-relieving relaxation that will improve your sleep, memory and ability to be present and mindful.
- Floating is very beneficial for injury recovery and muscle recovery, especially important for athletes and bodybuilders.
- Floating sharpens your focus and concentration. If you need to plan out a big project or strategize for an important game, doing so in a floatation tank enables you to focus exclusively on the task with zero distractions.
- Floating helps the body’s ability to release large amounts of endorphins and dopamine, while keeping the stress hormone, cortisol, to a minimum. Endorphins are known to promote happiness and pain reduction in the human body, while dopamine notably helps with memory, behavior, attention, sleep and mood.
- Being weightless in a float tank alleviates spine and back pain, lowers stress, reduction in swelling and inflammation allowing a soothing connection between Mother and baby during pregnancy.